Smoothies: Coffee Replacement and Recipe for Good Writing
An avid coffee drinker since I was old enough to walk and steal sips out of mom’s cup when she wasn’t looking, I could argue the merits of coffee till the end of time…or my time anyway. But unfortunately, I’ve learned with time that coffee has as many bad effects as it has good. One of the worst–that doctors don’t have to tell us about: caffeine crash.
So what do we do? We drink more.
Eventually, we crash hard enough that we have to give in and get some sleep. The trouble: whether you realize it or not, drinking coffee during the day is now affecting your sleep too. This means you’ll need more coffee the next day (and incidentally, your brain gets used to the stuff too, so it’ll delay really turning on until you’ve had that morning cup) and the cycle continues.
Before you begin to panic, let me offer another delicious and just as satisfying solution: fruit smoothies. As someone who as a child almost never ate fruits or vegetables, I still can’t believe it’s me saying this, but it’s true: fruit can replace coffee.
Here’s what I’ve found:
- Fruit gives as strong a high–if not higher, without the jitters coffee brings–which is great if you want to hit the keys right to bang out that new story or article!
- Fruit offers the clarity of mind and clarity of thought I’ve never experienced with coffee. Suddenly, I find that am able to articulate myself like never before. Again, brilliant if you’re looking to crank out the next best-selling novel!
- Fruit and coffee cost about the same.
- Unlike coffee, fruit will help you sleep good at night.
- Eating fruit helps the digestive system.
- Eating fruit can be just as addictive as coffee. But this time, it’s a healthy addiction!
- Eat fruit and your body will love you for it. While coffee ages you faster and creates not-so-lovely wrinkles, eating fruit makes you look and feel younger!
But you can also do what I do: make them at home.
- Strawberries (fresh is way better than frozen)
- Yogurt (I like to use Stoneyfield Organics Strawberry)